Monday, December 20, 2010

This is not Beirut


My economics teacher in high school was fond of saying, "When life gives you lemons make lemonade."  One glance at my bank account will confirm that I remember little else from the class; however, the advice came in handy when a snowstorm beat us to the runway at London Heathrow, where our connecting flight waited .  Several hours and long lines later my seat companion, David, a Lebanese American, and I found ourselves wearily dragging our luggage into a hotel in downtown Paris.  We agreed to cowboy up and take advantage of the situation, so after a spash of water in the face we stepped out into the snowy night and took a 6 euro metro tour of the city from the Eiffel Tower, to the Arc de Triomphe, to a Christmas lit stroll down the Champs Elysees.  Ah.. Paris!  The next day the airport was a complete zoo..one runway out of four open, airline employees stuck at home, and again our flight canceled.  The airline rep said there was no way we could get to Beirut until maybe the following day.  I suggested a flight to Damascus and voila... two seats available.  My new friend David made a few calls and we were met by a group of his buddies at the airport.. several beers, hookahs, cigarettes, and shawarmas later they took me to a nice little guesthouse in the heart of the old city.  "David tell these guys that tomorrow there is a rare cosmic event.. winter solstice, full moon, and lunar eclipse."  He translated to a few quick nods and short smiles.  "I don't think it's very interesting for these guys.. they live day to day," he tells me.  What they didn't have in cosmic enthusiasm, my new friends certainly didn't lack in hospitality.  One day in Syria and some of the friendliest, hospitable people you could hope to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment